Drafting is an important feature of legal practice. It is a skill needed to be mastered by a lawyer to achieve a successful career. The person drafting needs to have an adequate knowledge on grammar and keep his writing.
Becoming proficient in drafting requires hard work and practice. A legal draft with the correct format can assist application to a civil or criminal court starting from plaint to applying for orders in the middle of the proceedings.
Usually there are 10 parts of a draft which is to be maintained chronologically. Following is the basic structure of a legal draft for a civil case:
- Name of the Court where you are submitting your application.
- Number of the case and its date Name, father’s name, location of the plaintiff
- Name father’s name, location of the defendant
- Cause Title Description of your claim, one by one.
- Prayers or request for your desired relief.
- Schedule of Property (If the subject matter is land related)
- Signature of the Deponent
- Signature of the Advocate and seal.
Below is a petition for Attachment before Judgment, hand written by me for your understanding:
The legal draft above has been specially prepared for the Written examinees of Bangladesh Bar Council Enrolment Exam 2017. I myself is at a learning stage but tried my level best to present you a sample. Hence, any kind of error must be seen from a merciful perspective.